Interest charge

No-show charge dropped as convicted Sarnia boxer begins 30-month sentence

Blake Loxton, a competitive boxer from Sarnia, learned on the first day of his 30-month sentence for sexually interfering with a drunken girl.

Content of the article

Blake Loxton, a competitive boxer from Sarnia, learned on the first day of his 30-month sentence for sexually interfering with a drunken girl.

Advertisement 2

Content of the article

The River City Boxing Club member appeared in a Sarnia courtroom on Friday via video feed from Sarnia Jail as Assistant Crown Counsel Aniko Coughlan asked Justice of the Peace Debra Isaac to withdraw the accusation of not appearing in court.

“It is no longer in the public interest to prosecute this one given the sentence he is currently serving,” Coughlan explained.

Isaac officially withdrew the charge.

“Thank you,” Loxton replied as he stood in a small prison room wearing standard orange clothing and a blue surgical mask, with his long brown hair tied up in a bun.

Following a long process due, in part, to his brief disappearance, Loxton was finally sentenced on Thursday at 2.5 years behind bars, although he has just under two years left to serve after being credited with his time in prison since his last arrest in March.

Advertisement 3

Content of the article

The Crown asked three to four years in prison following Loxton’s conviction at trial of two sex charges related to a drunken minor, despite her lawyer pushing for house arrest. Superior Court Judge Kirk Munroe ruled that 30 months adequately addressed sentencing principles without crippling the relatively young man, who the judge said had considerable incentive to improve.

Munroe, however, also noted that Loxton had shown no remorse since being found guilty and throughout the sentencing process.

The former student of St. Patrick’s Catholic High School and Lambton College previously pleaded not guilty to charges of sexual assault and sexual interference, but was convicted in November following a trial.

Advertisement 4

Content of the article

The court heard that Loxton bought alcohol for a teenage girl and took her to his flat on a Saturday night a few years ago. The girl, who was black drunk, initially had no memory of what had happened, but feared something sexual had taken place.

Her memory was shaken following a police investigation that uncovered male DNA on her clothing.

Loxton, who is now on the Sex Offender Information Registration Act list for the next 20 years, had testified that nothing sexual had happened but his story with police was inconsistent, previously noted the judge. The Crown, Munroe concluded, had proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Loxton had touched her sexually and that consent was not possible for two reasons: the girl was under 16 and she was extremely intoxicated.

The survivor, whose identity is protected by a court-ordered publication ban, told Loxton while reading a victim impact statement earlier this year that he stole the innocence of a little girl.

Loxton has only been convicted of sexual interference since the sexual assault conviction was suspended due to a previous court decision that a person cannot be convicted twice for the same act.

[email protected]

Advertising

Advertisement 1

comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively yet civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to be moderated before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread you follow, or if a user follows you comments. See our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.